Thursday, November 7, 2013

Liberal Fox News Analyst is Converted to Christianity



Really, I mean it was just sort of like God…invading my life. It was very unwelcome. I didn’t like it… I started having a lot of different experiences where I just felt…God doing a lot of things in my life. It’s kind of hard to describe, but I did just have this moment of the scales falling off my eyes, and just saying, ‘this is totally true, I don’t even have any doubt’…
I am reminded of the words of the great hymn, “I once was blind, but now I see.” 

Powers was an atheist and had major hostilities toward evangelical Christianity. In essence, she was an enemy of God top to bottom. Romans 8:7 informs us that the mindset of the flesh is hostile toward God. A fleshly mindset is a worldly mindset. It is what we would call the non-Christian worldview. It is a way or pattern of thinking. Kirsten describes her experience of conversion as an invasion. I think she means she was not seeking God, answers, meaning, or anything like that. In fact, she describes the experience as unwelcome. This would describe what Jesus called in John 8:44 as divine dragging. This is the conviction of Christian truth and the pressure of the Holy Spirit bringing Powers to the realization that Christian theism is actually true.

I don’t really feel like I had any courage…when I became a Christian, I just gave in… It wasn’t courageous; I didn’t have any choice. I kept trying to not believe and I… just couldn’t avoid it. If I could have avoided it, I would have. There is nothing convenient about it in my life, in the world I live in. It’s not like living in the South or living somewhere where everybody is a Christian. I live in a world where nobody is a believer.

Notice how Kirsten describes her new-found faith. She did not go out looking for meaning in life, evaluate the truth-claims of the Christian worldview, experience pressure from her friends, family, and colleagues, and finally decide Jesus made all the sense of the world. Exactly the opposite is the case. She was a liberal democrat, a highly visible contributor on Fox News, with no hint of Christian experience in her background or especially in her present world. She had every worldly reason not to place her faith in Christ. Yet, because the call of God is efficacious, Kirsten’s battle against Christian truth was not one she could win. You see, when God opens the eyes of the spiritually blind, the see the truth of Who Jesus really is and what He has really accomplished for them. Faith finally makes sense. Christian truth becomes attractive. Jesus Himself becomes an irresistible Lord that you want to please with every aspect of your life. He is not viewed as some magical being that will save your marriage, heal your sicknesses, help you get on at work and climb the ladder, make your children more respectful and polite, and help you feel really good about yourself. What Jesus does is open your eyes to your wickedness, to your irrational rejection of all that is godly and good, and recue our miserable, rebellious heart and soul from eternal damnation. He rushes in, bringing us life and peace in Himself, but real trouble and persecution in this world.

A few weeks ago I began to notice something different about Kirsten Powers’ comments and mostly her arguments on Fox News. I was wondering if she was moving toward conservative politics. I could not tell what was going on, but it seemed to me that something was very different about her. Now I know what that something is. You see, Kirsten was dating a man who invited her to attend a church in NYC. And this was not any church. The Church that Kirsten visited was Christ Redeemer Presbyterian Church, pastored by none other than Tim Keller. Now, even though I have some serious concerns about some of Keller’s views, I do think he preaches the gospel. So Kirsten Powers very likely had her first encounter with the gospel. And sometimes, the gospel is just terribly inconvenient. It will change your life!


Kirsten’s interview, even on paper is really quite profound. I confess that it brought me to tears, hearing about how God worked in her life. I could not help but become emotional as Kirsten described the regenerative work of God as he gave her a new heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment