Monday, April 9, 2012

Poem On Hermeneutics

Pat Bergeron
                                                                        11/27/91


It cannot mean what it never meant
I’ve etched that on my brain
And when I study scripture
I echo that refrain
I’ve studied hermeneutics and exegesis too
So, as a consequence of this
I’ve somewhat changed my view
I’ve learned some nomenclature
too lengthy to define
like cultural relativity and textual design
There is so much I want to know
How to ferret out the truth
I hope someday that I’ll become
a Bible reading sleuth
A new respect has taken me, for God’s own holy word
inspiring me to know the truth, to hear as it was heard
But I know I must remember, I stepped through an
open door
and never can return again to where I was before

No comments:

Post a Comment