Friday, July 2, 2010

Independence Day - Celebrating Spiritual Liberation

In a couple of days, the USA will celebrate her independence from English oppression. There will be family, picnics, fireworks, and people will surround themselves with those whom they love and with those who love them. And this is as it should be. But Christians have an advantage. We can celebrate our spiritual independence from the bondage of slavery to sin each and every day of our lives. Paul said that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; old things passed away; behold new things have come (2 Cor. 5:17). I thank my God that He has rescued me from the perishing. Even though I did not deserve it, he called me to himself in a display of love and mercy that is incomprehensible. And even though I have had many blunders along the way, he rescuses me from myself each and every day. Scripture says, Great are Your mercies, O Lord; revive me according to Your ordinance (Ps. 119:156). But we falter and we stumble all the time. Paul said that this one thing he does; I forget those things which are behind me, and I press forward toward the prize of the upward call of God. Let us have this attitude as we celebrate our spiritual liberation, and if we have any other attitude, may God reveal that to us so that we may subject our thoughts to the only wise God, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Think on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and of good repute, so long as there is excellence and praise worthiness there. Let us each receive one another in Christian love until we prove that we are not what we say we are. And that proof comes by our daily living in the here and now. Let us not condemn one another based on hearsay from others, especially if the credibiliy and objectivity of the other is already suspect. Satan is a grand deceiver and he will do whatever he has to do in order to rob us of our unity, our love, and common bond. Let us put away ungodly practices of lying, gossip, and hateful speech, and rush to the aid of those in need. This should be a season of celebration, not only for the temporal, but also for the spiritual. May God reward us according to our deeds, and may He judge us in the very same manner in which we judge others!

Happy Independence day!

No comments:

Post a Comment